The Roma Pass and other City Passes offer a wide range of services for every need. In addition to museum tickets, various cards offer audio guides, Vatican Museums tickets, guided tours in St. Peter’s Basilica, public transport, airport transfers or hop on hop off buses.
Popular passes are the Roma Pass, the Omnia Card, the Turbopass and the Rome Tourist Card.
The Roma Pass includes free use of public transport and you will receive a card for public transport and which is valid for access to the museums. The Omnia Card 72h offers additional services to the Roma Pass, such as Vatican Museums, audio guides for St. Peter’s Basilica and hop on hop off buses.
The Rome Tourist Card does not include public transport and is delivered online.
The Turbopass is the most flexible pass, as you can choose the period of validity and book various options.
The Roma Pass
The Roma Pass is the official Rome City Card of the municipality of Rome. It allows free use of public transport in Rome. The transfer from Fiumicino Airport to Rome is not included. From Ciampino Airport you can use the Roma Pass to take bus 520 to Subaugusta metro station or 720 to Laurentina metro station.
From the first use, the Roma Pass is valid for 48 or 72 hours. A visit to one museum is included for 48 hours and to two museums for 72 hours. If you want to visit more museums, you get reduced tickets. The Vatican Museums are not included.
Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and Roman Forum count as one museum, although there are different entrances. Preferential entry also makes sense at Castel Sant’Angelo so that you don’t have to queue.
With the Roma Pass you must make reservations for the museums. For the Colosseum there is a telephone number +39 06 39967575 and the reservation fee is 2 €. To reserve the Borghese Gallery, call +39 06 32810.
You can reserve the museums of the Municipality of Rome by phone at 060608.
The reservation for the Colosseum is included with the Turbo Pass and the Rome Tourist Card.
Discounts for children and young people
There is no reduction for children and young people with the Roma Pass . It wouldn’t be worth it either, because entry to the state museums, which also include the Colosseum, is free up to the age of 18. However, in most cases the accompanying children also need a reservation.
Children up to the age of 10 travel for free on public transport in Rome when accompanied by an adult. For the older children you can buy day tickets or multi-day tickets. Information on public transport in Rome>
Young children have free entry to the museums of the Municipality of Rome. Children from the age of 6 pay a reduced admission price. The museums of the Municipality of Rome include the Capitoline Museums and the Trajan’s Markets.
The Omnia Card
The Omnia Card is the city card of the Roman pilgrimage. It is the card with the most benefits. In the 72h version it offers the Roma Pass and the Vatican Museums with the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Basilica with audio guide and the yellow hop on hop off line from Roma Cristiana.
Rome Tourist Pass and Vatican Pass
With the Rome Tourist Pass and the Vatican Pass you book the most important tickets in no time. While the Roma Pass doesn’t include the Vatican Museums and the guided tour of St. Peter’s Basilica and you have to book the Colosseum separately, here you book everything with just a few clicks. The Vatican Pass includes the Vatican Museums and the guided tour of St. Peter’s Basilica, while the Tourist Pass includes also the Colosseum.
The Turbopass Rome is the most flexible pass and is available with a validity of 1 to 7 days. The turbo pass allows access to a large number of attractions regardless of the period of validity. It is particularly interesting that you can book the tickets for local public transport and have them sent to your home.
Which Rome City Card is worthwhile for you?
Whether and which City Card is worthwhile for you depends on what you are planning to do in Rome.
The City Passes are usually cheaper than the individual services. Above all, however, they are convenient because you can reserve everything in just a few simple steps.
Advantages and disadvantages of the cards
Roma Pass pros
- Public transport is included. This is an advantage if your accommodation is not in the center
- Entry to one or two museums is included
- For further museum visits you pay a reduced admission price
- Use of the public toilets is free
Roma Pass cons
- The Vatican Museums and priority entry to St. Peter’s Basilica are not included
- Museums that require a reservation must be reserved separately and in some cases for a fee
- The pass must be collected from a tourist information office
Omnia Card pros
- The Roma Pass is included in the 72h Omnia Card
- The use of hop on hop off buses and public transport offers maximum flexibility
- The Vatican Museums and priority entry to St. Peter’s Basilica are included
Omnia Card cons
- National and municipal museums that require reservations must be reserved separately and in some cases for a fee
- The Omnia Card must be picked up in an office of the pilgrims’ organization
Rome Tourist Card pros
- The Rome Tourist Card is delivered online and does not need to be picked up
- It includes the main attractions: Vatican Museums, Colosseum and priority entry to St. Peter’s Basilica
- All necessary reservations are included
- There is a 10% discount for additional tickets
Rome Tourist Card cons
- Public transport is not included. This is a disadvantage if your accommodation is not in the center. You then have to buy either single tickets (€ 1.50) or day tickets (details). You can rarely use public transport in the center.
Turbopass Rome pros
- The turbo pass is delivered online and does not have to be picked up in Rome
- It includes a variety of attractions
- All necessary reservations are included
- A day ticket for the hop on hop off bus is included
- The optional local transport tickets are delivered to your home
- The airport transfer can be booked as an option
- Interesting discounts on other attractions
Rome Turbopass cons
- There is no guided tour for St. Peter’s Basilica included