The most important museums in Rome besides the museums of the Vatican are either under state administration or owned by the municipality of Rome. There are also some institutions that can be visited, such as the Quirinals Palace, as well as numerous private museums. The three major museum organizations, the Vatican, the state and the municipality, differ in their admission rules.
The Vatican Museums
In addition to the normal visit to the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel, visits are offered to the closed sections, the Vatican Gardens, as well as visits to the papal residence and gardens in Castel Gandolfo.
Opening hours of the Vatican Museums
The Vatican Museums are open from Monday to Saturday 9 am-6 pm with last admission at 4 pm. There are also early entrances with or without breakfast and evening tours.
You can find further details on our article about the Vatican Museums.
Admission Vatican Museums
Children up to 6 years old are free. Adolescents up to the age of 18, students up to the age of 25, priests and members of the Order pay reduced entrance fees.
Reductions are also available for pilgrims and families with at least two children.
The Roman National Museums
Among the state museums in Rome are the complex of the Colosseum with Palatine and Forum Romanum, the excavations in Ostia Antica and the Borghese Gallery.
The opening hours of the state museums in Rome
The most important national museums are open all year round and only close on 1st January and 25th December. Shortened entry times are available on the 24th and 31st 25. The open-air museums have staggered opening times according to the season. For the Colosseum with Palatine and Roman Forum, an evening opening is offered in summer.
Most smaller museums in Rome are closed on Monday. A list of all opening hours can be found below.
Up to the age of 18, admission to the national museums is free. EU citizens up to 25 pay reduced entrance fees. On the first Sunday of the month, admission is free for all. The museum complex Colosseum, Palatine and Forum Romanum counts as one museum, the entrance ticket is valid for two days. The four sections of the Roman National Museum, Palazzo Massimo, Palazzo Altemps, Crypta Balbi and the Baths of Diocletian count as a museum, the entrance ticket is valid for three days. The mausoleum of the Cecilia Metella and the Villa dei Quintili count as a museum. The entrance ticket is valid for one day.
The museums of the municipality of Rome
The Capitoline Museums and the Markets of Trajan are the most famous museums in Rome in the municipality.
Opening hours of the museums of the municipality of Rome
The larger museums in Rome in the municipality are open all year except January 1, May 1 and December of December. On 24 and 31 December the opening hours are shortened. The smaller museums are mostly closed on Mondays. All details can be found in the list below.
Admission to the museums of the municipality of Rome
Children up to 6 years old are free. Young people up to the age of 25 years of age pay reduced admission.
Other regulations apply to persons residing in Rome. The following museums in Rome offer free admission :
- Museo di Scultura Antica by Giovanni Barracco
- Museo delle Mura
- Villa di Massenzio
- Museo della Repubblica Romana e della memoria garibaldina
- Museo Napoleonico
- Museo Carlo Bilotti
- Museo Pietro Canonica
- Museo di Casal de ‘Pazzi
Opening hours of the National Museums in Rome
- Colosseum, Palatine and Roman Forum Opening 8:30 Closing Winter 4:30pm Mid February – Mid March 17 End of March – 5:30pm End of March to August 7:1515 IX 19 X 18:30
Baths of Caracalla opening 9 am closing like the Coliseum
- Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella and Villa dei Quintili (a ticket for both, accessible by bus line 118) Opening 9 am closing like the Coliseum; The mausoleum is closed on Mondays
- Roman National Museum one ticket for the following museums 9am – 7:45pm, Mondays closed:
- Crypta Balbi, via delle Botteghe Oscure, 31
- Palazzo Altemps, piazza di S. Apollinare, 48
- Palazzo Massimo, largo di Villa Peretti, 1
- Baths of Diocletian, via E. De Nicola, 79
- Gallery of the Villa Borghese (only by phone reservation Tel .: +39 06 32810) 9am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- National Gallery of Ancient Art at Palazzo Barberini, Via delle Quattro Fontane, 13 8:30am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- National Gallery of Ancient Art in the Palazzo Corsini, Via della Lungara, 10 8:30am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- Gallery Spada, Vicolo del Polverone, 15 / b 8:30am-7:30pm Closed on Tuesdays
- GNAM – National Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art, viale delle Belle Arti, 131 8:30am-7:30pm Closed on Mondays
- National Museum of Oriental Art, via Merulana, 248 8am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- National Music Museum, piazza S. Croce in Gerusalemme, 9/A (left behind the Basilica) 9am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- National Museum of the High Middle Ages, viale A. Lincoln, 3 8am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- National museum of folklore and folklore, piazza G. Marconi, 8-10 8am-7pm Closed on Mondays July, August also closed on Sundays
- Prehistoric and Ethnographical National Museum “Luigi Pigorini”, piazza G. Marconi, 14 8am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- National museum Castel Sant’Angelo 9am-7:30pm, from End of June to Mid of September 9am-0am
- National Museum Palazzo Venezia 8:30am-7:30pm Closed on Mondays
- Etruscan National Museum of Villa Giulia, piazzale di Villa Giulia, 9 8:30am-7:30pm Closed on Mondays
- Excavations in Ostia Antica (Scavi) Opening 8:30am Closing Winter 4:30pm Mid February – Mid March 5pm End of March 5:30pm End of March to August 7:15pm IX 7pm X 6:30pm Closed on Mondays
Opening hours of the municipal museums in Rome
- Musei Capitolini 9:30am-7:30pm
- Centrale Montemartini 9am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- Mercati di Traiano 9:30am-7:30pm
- Museo dell’Ara Pacis 9:30am-7:30pm
- Museo di scultura antica Giovanni Barracco X-III 10am-4pm IV-IX 1pm-7pm Closed on Mondays
- Museo della Civiltà Romana (currently closed)
- Museo delle Mura 9am-2pm Closed on Mondays
- Museo di Casal de ‘Pazzi Only by reservation Tel .: +39 060608
- Villa, Circo di Massenzio e Mausoleo di Romolo 10am – 4pm Closed on Mondays
- The Museum of the Roman Republic and the Memoria Garibaldina Tue-Fri 10am-2pm Sat + Sun + holiday 10am-6pm Closed on Mondays
- Museo di Roma 10am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- Museo Napoleonico 10am-6pm Closed on Mondays
- Galleria d’Arte Moderna 10am-16:30pm Closed on Mondays
- MACRO Tue-Sun 10:30am-7:30pm MACRO Testaccio Tue-Sun 2-8pm
- Museo Carlo Bilotti – Aranciera di Villa Borghese XV Tue-Fri + holidays 10am – 4pm, Sat + Sun 10am-7pm; VI-IX Tue-Fri + Holidays 1-7pm Sat + Sun 10am-7pm
- Museo Pietro Canonica in Villa Borghese XV 10am-4pm VI-IX 1-7pm Closed on Mondays
- Museo di Roma in Trastevere 10am-8pm Closed on Mondays
- Musei di Villa Torlonia 9am-7pm Closed on Mondays
- Planetario e Museo Astronomico currently closed
- Museo Civico di Zoologia 9am-7pm Closed on Mondays